This dinner won the popular vote from our winter seasonal cookbook and I have to admit, I agree.
The broccoli, garbanzo beans and red pepper up the nutrient value of this dish and the toppings give it that extra crunch and delicious flavor.
It's all about the sauce with this one though, it totally makes the dish. Our toddlers give it two thumbs up and that's saying a lot!
Paleo or grain free?? This dish is incredible over cauliflower rice as well.
Skip the takeout and create your own Chinese dish tonight!
This dish is super speedy, nutritious, delicious and costs way less than pick up. Try it out and let us know what you think.
General Tso's Rice Bowl
¼ cup creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. sea salt.
½ cup dried Jasmine rice
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained
1 red pepper, diced
*Optional Toppings: chopped almonds, sesame seeds, sliced green onions
- Combine everything in a bowl except rice, broccoli, and chickpeas. Whisk sauce well and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil with ½ cup rice. Allow it to boil and then cover and cook on low for 10 minutes. Keep covered until you are ready to eat.
- Place chopped broccoli in another saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until broccoli easily pierces with a fork, about 7-8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Toss chickpeas, broccoli, red pepper and sauce together.
- Divide rice between two bowls and top with chickpea filling.